Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Save the dates are an early heads-up for your friends and family, basically asking them not to make any big plans on your big day. Deciding when to send save the dates will depend on a number of things, but try to do it as early as possible to give your guests plenty of notice.
You can keep it simple and only include the typical save the date wording, but why not spice it up with a romantic quote or funny phrase?
Don’t worry, we’ve done the work and rounded up over 40 save the date quotes and phrases to draw inspiration from. There’s something here for the romantics, the jokers and even those who don’t really want to make a big deal out of it.
Use these quotes as opening lines to set the mood, and follow with standard save the date wording to ensure you have all of the important details.
Romantic save the date quotes
These are great if you’re planning a more traditional wedding and are big on romance. And why shouldn’t you be – if there’s one day to be unapologetically romantic, it’s your wedding day. From Shakespeare to Sheeran, virtually everyone has spoken about love at some point, so why not borrow a line? Don’t worry, we’re keeping these classy and just sufficiently emotional to get your guests all teary-eyed.
- True love stories never have endings (Richard Bach) Join us for the beginning of ours.
- Two hearts in love need no words. (Marceline Desbordes-Valmore) We just need your presence on our big day.
- In an endless garden of flowers, I will always pick you. (A. J. Lawless)
- The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. (Audrey Hepburn)
- Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale. (Unknown)
- To find someone who will love you for no reason, and to shower that person with reasons, that is the ultimate happiness. (Robert Brault)
- Life has taught us that love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction. (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)
- You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. (Dr. Seuss)
- Love is a two-way street constantly under construction. (Carroll Bryant)
Simple and elegant save the date quotes
These aren’t quotes per se, because they haven’t been penned by the likes of Keats or Swift (as in Taylor). But they are elegant sentences you can add to your save the dates for a bit of character. They’re still rather romantic, but more quietly and casually so. If that’s you, then give one of these a go.
- Of all the people in the world, we’ve been lucky enough to stumble upon each other. That calls for celebration.
- Olaf was right, some people are worth melting for.
- Together is a beautiful place to be. Will you join us?
- The best things in life are meant to be shared. We’d love to share our big day with you.
- Our happily ever after starts on July 17. Please join us for our special day.
- It’ll be a celebration of love and friendship, which is why you need to be there.
- We said yes. Your turn.
- You save the date, we’ll save you a drink.
Funny save the date quotes
Now, if you’re looking to shake things up and your style is more laid back, why not add a little humor to it? These funny save the dates are subtly playful, perhaps a little cheeky, and sure to put a smile on the face of your guests.
- Great love affairs start with Champagne, said Balzac. We’ll be putting that to the test on July 17.
- It’s time to swap the particle board furniture from our college days for something more grown-up. Sooo…we’re getting married!
- All you need is
lovecake. We promise not to disappoint.
- Now you can stop asking us when we’re getting married.
- We weren’t too sure about this until we read about all the tax benefits.
- Two fewer fish in the sea.
- We (somehow) passed the lockdown test. We’re ready for this!
- Coming soon to a church near you.
- We knew it was true love when our weird felt entirely normal.
- Yes, we finally set a date.
Save the date quotes inspired by popular songs
The ceremony and the cocktail hour are all well and good, but it’s the dance floor where a wedding truly comes into its own. And to ensure success, you’ll probably have to play a few crowd-pleasers…even if they’re not on your Spotify favorites list. So, why not tease your guests with a musically-inspired save the date quote?
From sweet to funny, here are a few lines inspired by some well known songs about love (and a few others that simply happen to be wedding party regulars).
- Agenda for July 17:
- Wake me up before you go-go.
- Stand by me.
- Put a ring on it.
- Shake it off.
- Get lucky.
- Macarena (you asked)
- Bye bye bye
- Are you coming?
- You don’t want to miss a thing on July 17. There’ll be drinks, cake and embarrassing secrets disguised as toasts. What’s not to love?
- Friday, we’re in love. Saturday…probably hungover.That’s the plan for July 17 – be there, it’ll be worth it!
- On July 17 we’ll be celebrating this crazy little thing called love.We’d love for you to join us.
- This will be an everlasting love – and a pretty spectacular party, too. You don’t want to miss it.
- She’s mad about the boy, he adores his brown-eyed girl…so they’re getting married!
- I’ll go get a ring, let the choir bells sing, like ooh-ooh-oooh…Yes, we’re doing it!
- There’ll be Kisses and Cake, Dancing in the Moonlight, and a whole lot of L-O-V-E. Come join us on our big day.
- We’re goin’ to the chapel, and then we’re partying all night. Please save our date!
Save the date quotes from romantic movies
If you and your fiancé are film buffs (or just love a classic rom-com), why not include a save the date quote inspired by an iconic movie line? Whether serious or sappy, here are some of our favorite quotes from romance movies that’ll add a perfect touch to your wedding stationery
- It was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together. (Sam, Sleepless in Seattle)
- When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. (Harry, When Harry met Sally)
- You are, and always have been, my dream. (from The Notebook)
- It’s like in that moment, the whole universe existed just to bring us together. (from Serendipity)
- This is true love. You think this happens every day? (Westley, The Princess Bride)
- Sometimes you love a person because of all the reasons they’re not like you. And sometimes you love a person just because they feel like home. (from Bridget Jones’s Baby)
- Life’s better with company. Everybody needs a copilot. (from Up In The Air)
Casual save the date quotes
If you’re not exactly the sentimental kind and your wedding’s more casual or alternative, these understated lines could be good openers for your save the dates. It’s as if they’re saying “We’re just getting married, no big deal – but we’d still like to celebrate.” So if that’s how you feel and you prefer to keep things cool, these are for you.
- Any plans for July 17? We’ll need help eating this reaaally big cake. You in?
- Hey there! We have this thing planned for July 17, would love for you to come.
- It looks like we’re getting married…
- There’ll be cake (all three tiers of it). Just saying.
- It’s a forever thing (or so we’re told).
Whatever save the date caption you decide to use, make sure the quotes reflect the general theme or style of your wedding and are true to your personalities. When done right, save the dates are a great way to give your guests a taste of what’s to come and get them excited about your big day.